Where in the world was Victoria?
2012…what an amazing year! It will likely go down in my books as one of the best years ever. I couldn’t have even imagined the fun I’d have, the things I’d learn, and the lifelong friends I’d meet when I decided to attend school at the University of Sussex in the UK. Europe holds a special place for me – it is my favorite place to travel to ever since my study abroad program back in undergrad. This year, I got the opportunity to explore the continent easily through the conveniences of EasyJet and other budget airlines.
By the numbers…
- 14 countries (Denmark, England*, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Monaco, Morocco, Northern Ireland*, Scotland*, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Vatican City), 8 of which were new to me. *For the sake of distinguishing the different entities within the UK, I considered them to be individual countries for this recap.
- 3 continents (Africa, Europe, North America)
And here goes my recap of 2012…
I think this year really made me realize that there is so much in the world I want to see. Like Susan Sontag says, “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list”. Get out there and travel, people! 🙂
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
- I rang in the new year back in Brighton, England on the beach after just returning from Egypt.
- Rounding out the second half of Winter Break with library visits and term paper writing.
- First (and only day of) snow in Brighton!
- Spring term of my Master’s program in session!
- LGW ✈ CPH A late February trip to Copenhagen, Denmark with my flatmate and fellow Californian friend.
- LGW ✈ NYO Started an early March trip with my GPE friends to Stockholm, Sweden!
- LGW ✈ DUB ✈ BFS Started off my Spring Break with St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin, Ireland and a trip to see the awe-inspiring Cliffs of Moher, meeting my friends from home. Then head up to Belfast, Northern Ireland before flying out.
- LGW ✈ RAK ✈ CDG A quick stop back in Brighton, England, and then a very stressful morning at LGW chasing a flight to Marrakesh, Morocco (we made it!). As an excursion, we took a trip out to the Sahara Desert to spend a night in a tent under the stars.
- Then, a flight direct to revisit Paris, France for a few days before returning to Brighton, England for library time and more term paper writing.
- Enjoying my time in Brighton, England.
- No international trips this month.
- Enjoying my time in Brighton, England. I’ll always remember the week and a half of beautiful sun in Brighton just as we turned in an assignment – beach day, everyday!
- No international trips this month.
- A visit from a friend from California, with a visit to Stonehenge & Bath despite the rain.
- LGW ✈ IBZ Beach, clubs, music, tapas, and great friends on the lovely island of Ibiza, Spain. Visited some of the best clubs in the world!
- Friends from California visit and we venture up to Edinburgh, Scotland via train, then further north to Inverness, Scotland and surrounding Highlands to follow the Whisky trail, then back down south to Glasgow, Scotland, and from there train back to London, England.
- “Summertime” in Brighton, England continues (yes, still some rain and cold days)
- LGW ✈ BLQ ✈ GVA I depart Brighton and head to Bologna, Italy for a night, then early morning adventure to Cinque Terre, Italy to meet up with my cousin and friends, with hikes and trains through the five towns of Manarola, Vernazza, Riomaggiore, Corniglia, Monterosso al Mare, then head up to Milan, Italy, then across the border to Switzerland and into the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the cute town on the mountains of Gimmelwald, Switzerland. Then I take a cable car to a bus to a train to another train and on to Geneva, Switzerland before flying back to Brighton.
- The Olympics began and I got tickets to Women’s Beach Volleyball in London, England! Go team USA!
- LGW ✈ ATH ✈ JMK Friends from California visit and we go to visit Cambridge, England followed by island hopping in Greece – Athens, Santorini, and Mykonos!
- No trips allowed because I have a dissertation to write – long days at the library!
- Early September, my MA dissertation is due and the next few days until we have to move out – party, party, party!
- ORY ✈ NCE ✈ FCO ✈ BLQ ✈ LGW My family comes to Brighton, England and we go on a European taster tour (it was their first time) – taking us to London, England, through the chunnel to Paris, France, south to Tours and the Loire Valley, France, on a plane to Nice, France, with day trips to Cannes, France and Monaco, and on another plane to Rome, Italy, on a train to Venice, Italy, and back to Brighton, England to finish up the trip!
- I continue my last week in Brighton, England, enjoying the typical rain and spending time with the last-remaining friends there.
- LGW ✈ GVA Then, I’m off on a jet plane to Geneva, Switzerland to hang out with my friend and to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Switzerland, mostly staying in Vevey, Switzerland, with day/weekend trips to Bern, Switzerland and Geneva, Switzerland to see some other friends. What a relaxing end to my time in Europe!
- GVA ✈ LHR ✈ SFO My time in Europe comes to an end and I’m on a plane back home to San Francisco, California via London Heathrow.
- California, home sweet home!
- Back in California and job searching. All that fun stuff!
- SJC ✈ LAX A return to my “other” home – Los Angeles, California, to visit friends, watch a UCLA football and basketball game, and see some of my favorite places.
- Spending Thanksgiving with family!
- Enjoying my time in California.
- Short trip to Los Angeles for holiday parties via Megabus and their debut route $1 each way deal!
- Christmas time with family and friends. 🙂